[Lazarus] mailing list

Henrique Faria henrique_faria at msn.com
Tue Nov 4 01:51:36 CET 2008

ik wrote:
> For example, if TApplication.BidiMode (I have added support for it
> with the help of Paul) is set to bdRightToLeft, should every TControl
> and TMenu base compoents should be automatically be aligned to right
> or the developer must choose the direction regardless of
> TApplication.BidiMode ?

On this specific point I would recommend as part of the BiDi
implementation expanding the choices for basic alignment to include a
new value that means "automatically decide based on bd setting". Then,
the logic would be to look at the BiDiMode to determine the alignment.

This way all existing code should work as it always has. If a developer
wanted to adapt his program to take BiDi into account he could just set
the BiDiMode and change all the alignments that should respond to the
new alignment value. Any controls that should not adapt can continue to
set their own alignment independent of the BiDi mode.