[Lazarus] KOL CE

Kutlay Ozger kutlayozger at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 09:06:16 CET 2008

Paul Ishenin wrote:
> Marc Weustink wrote:
>>> This is a risk, the debugger user shoud be aware of, but viewing and
>>> setting property values must work in the debugger, as it does in Delphi.
>>>
>> If you can give me a nice way to undo the case vincent described, I'll
>> happily implement that.
>> Note that Delphi doesn't handle this either. So evaluating properties
>> can modify the state of the debugee.
>>
> It is ok. Why should you warry about undo? One must understand what does
> it do.

In my experience you really need to know what you are doing and even
then you might not know.

> On the other hand if you really want to protect users we can invent an
> option to prevent evaluation of properties which has getter (if we can
> detect ofcource props with getters and props linked to fields). Or we
> can split evaluation process of such properties by 2 steps: ask to
> evaluate property and confirm that you really want to evaluate a
> property with getter which can change debugee state.

I plan to add a option to enable function/procedure evaluation.

> In the other words - please implement this and we will try to find a way
> to protect users ;)

OK, then we have a next problem, to handle this properly, this must be
added to the dwarf spec. Sooner or later i'll dive into this again to
see if there is a solution.
Problem with properties it that you have different read and write access
foar the same symbol.

Marc