[Lazarus] SubVersion vs Git

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 11:06:21 CET 2008

On 11/5/08, Alexander Klenin <klenin at gmail.com> wrote:

> They are usually of about equal size, for example, svn checkout of
>  Pidgin (IM tool) is 122 MB while complete history in Git repository is 148 MB.

I don't think that is incorrect. The svn checkout will only contain
the last revision (no history). That means 122MB for the HEAD
revision. Compare that to the Git repository of148MB for the full
history!  A huge difference in amount of information and size. Git is
a LOT smaller.

>  But the OP's point was that local operations are MUCH faster,
>  so much that it changes the work flow. For example, to show a few last
>  log messages
>  from the lazarus repository takes me 10-20 sec., and showing a diff between
>  to revisions of a file -- another 30-60 sec., while in Git these
>  operations are instantaneous.

This drives me absolutely nuts!! I often track bugs by comparing
revisions. And doing that for remote repositories like FPC or Lazarus
is a total pain in the butt! It takes forever! We don't all live in
the USA with 20+Mb internet connections to our office or home.

>  Another compelling feature of Git is the possibility to create and manage
>  local branches. For example, when I want to add a feature to Lazarus,

This is one of the major features in Git that is convincing me to try
Git for our company repositories.  In SubVersion, branching is like an
afterthought. Manually having to track merges to a branch (though
apparently there was been some work towards this), etc...

Regards,
  - Graeme -