[Lazarus] SubVersion vs Git

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 13:15:49 CET 2008

On 11/5/08, Graeme Geldenhuys <graemeg.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

>  HEAD exported (no .svn folders) = 76MB (1 revision of source code only)
>  HEAD checkout (with .svn folders) = 314MB  (that means 1 revision only)
>
>  So far that means SubVersion added 238MB of noise simply to manage ONE
>  (head) revision!!! I guess there is a lot of crap in those .svn
>  folders.
>
>  HEAD checkout using Git = 108MB  (that means 1 revision only)
>
>  So Git is already 206MB smaller than SubVersion using the HEAD
>  revision only. Wow, that's quite a saving of space!

Another cool thing that could be done for new developers wanting to
get a checkout of Lazarus or FPC. Weekly or Monthly archives of the
repository could be created.

I compressed the Lazarus HEAD checkout of Git with 7zip. That dropped
the size of the whole repository down to 23MB. Smaller than my current
stripped lazarus executable. :-)

Once the full history Git checkout is complete, I'll compress it with
7zip as well to see how small it can go.

Regards,
  - Graeme -