[Lazarus] SubVersion vs Git

Florian Klaempfl florian at freepascal.org
Wed Nov 5 14:20:10 CET 2008

Graeme Geldenhuys schrieb:
> On 11/5/08, Florian Klaempfl <florian at freepascal.org> wrote:
>>  the more complex use of a dvcs. Here at work I'am happy if people use
>>  svn up/svn co correctly and not do svn rm/svn add to commit a changed file.
>>
>>  With subversion is this self regulated and the structure subversion
>>  offers is enough for smaller projects like fpc/lazarus.
>

> My (personal) two main benefit for Git is:
>  * I can easily and quickly do revision comparisons locally without
> communicating with the remote server

This is indeed a point and that's why I installed the mercurial mirror
already some time ago.

>  * I can do local commits and keep a history of those commits. Then
> once my long taking feature is complete, I can generate a patch for
> "primary" repository.

The better way is imo to create a branch at the main repository where
you can work, so as I said in my other mail, it is backed up, everybody
can review it early and easily, you don't need to take the hazzle to get
your own tree online.