[Lazarus] Performance of GTK 2 and CE

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 15:39:51 CET 2008

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 4:14 PM, Marc Weustink <marc.weustink at cuperus.nl> wrote:

> Are you running remote by using a VNC server on your sparc end that
> using a vncviewer to access it remotely, or are you running X remote
> (sparc connecting to a remote X server)
>
> The latter I can confirm as dog slow. Over a 1 Gb lan it takes minutes
> before the cursor moves one char in the editor. (Responses to
> mouseclicks on dialogs take the same time btw)
> This resulted for me to continue laz development using a gtk1 IDE.

That must or be a GTK2 or Lazarus LCL issue then. I often connect to a
remove server via 'ssh -X ....' and run apps remotely to display on my
local screen.  For example the fpGUI UI Designer and the new TextEdit
component (SynEdit like component) doesn't have any issues. All user
interactions (clicking, draging, typing) are instant, as if I were
running them locally.

My plan was to develop remotely on the 64bit system, but display
locally. That machine is very beefy compare to my desktop system. If
Lazarus IDE can't run nicely over a remote connection, that will be a
serious issue. :-(

Umm, I should really start working on LCL-fpGUI then. ;-)  This might
solve some issue for a few people.

Regards,
  - Graeme -