[Lazarus] Performance of GTK 2 and CE

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Sat Nov 8 10:31:14 CET 2008

Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 12:33 PM, Henry Vermaak <henry.vermaak at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> compile with -Xs or manually run arm-wince-strip --strip-unneeded on the exe.
>> I don't know if it's any different, but I usually do: arm-wince-strip
>> --strip-all myfile.exe
>
> Thanks both. I've dropped Andy a note reminding him to check the ML.

This from Andy:

The machine isn't short of RAM - it has 128Mb and I've closed down all
all other programs.

But the .exe was 9.81Mb, not 1.5Mb!

Stripping, i.e. compiling with -Xs, made no difference. But, now knowing
it should be smaller, I then played with all the compiler options and
the one that did make a difference in the size was removing the default
"display line numbers in run time error backtrace". With this unchecked
the size came down to 1.615Mb.

Stripping, setting unit style "smart linkable" and "link smart" are all
now set but made no difference.

I then copied the application over to the PDA again. The program load
time (i.e. from tapping the icon to the start of drawing the window) was
much better, but disappointingly the execution speed was not observably
different, i.e. it still took a second to draw the window.