[Lazarus] Performance of GTK 2 and CE

Luca Olivetti luca at wetron.es
Tue Nov 11 09:14:56 CET 2008

En/na Mark Morgan Lloyd ha escrit:
> Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
>
>> I need to try some methodical tests in case I'm overlooking something.
>
> I've now got a minimal test project for this which does appear to show
> that the major problem is when gtk2 is run to a remote screen. Any
> difference between 0.9.24, 0.9.26 and 0.9.27 (as of a couple of weeks
> ago) is insignificant.

I have an application made with 0.9.26/gtk2 that is routinely[*] run in
remote through an ssh tunnel (the X server is either linux or windows
xming).
While it's somewhat slower that running it locally (and by locally I
mean through vnc, since the machine is headless, so that may mask some
of the slowness), the difference doesn't seem as dramatic and the app is
perfectly useable.
The machine where the application is running is a celeron M1.3GHz with
256M of ram, the os is mandriva 2007.1, kde desktop.
I didn't try to run lazarus itself in remote though, but the performance
of lazarus/gtk2 on my ageing laptop is very good. In fact, even when I
was targeting gtk1 due to a memory leak in gtk2 (now solved), I've been
using the ide compiled with gtk2 long before 0.9.26.

[*]actually the app is just to configure the machine, so it's not run
everyday, but when it is used it works fine.

Bye
--
Luca Olivetti
Tel. +34 93 5883004      Fax +34 93 5883007