[Lazarus] Performance of GTK 2 and CE

Luca Olivetti luca at wetron.es
Tue Nov 11 15:02:11 CET 2008

En/na Mark Morgan Lloyd ha escrit:
> Luca Olivetti wrote:
>
>> I have an application made with 0.9.26/gtk2 that is routinely[*] run in
>> remote through an ssh tunnel (the X server is either linux or windows
>> xming).
>
> That does of course raise the interesting point that part of the remote
> performance issue could be an X server issue. Fortunately I've got XMing
> on another laptop, so selecting one of the more "complete" sets of tests:

I didn't do any measurement, simply because I didn't notice any big
problem with performance, and I saw no noticeable difference between the
linux x server and xming.
In both cases the connection is tunneled through ssh without
compression, which, if anything, should make things even worse.

> In the case of the gtk2 test I also time a 6 second "Big Freeze" between
> the form appearing and being usable.

No such freeze here (wait, I saw something similar once on the
production machine in another project, but it was gtk1 that was busy
substituting fonts or something, fixed with a .gtkrc, never saw it with
gtk2)

> I admit to being very surprised here by gtk1 being faster but gtk2 being
> so much slower. However this isn't a particularly recent copy of XMing-
> the machine is used for mundane but important jobs like setting up the
> PABX and it doesn't get fiddled with.

The version of xming I used is 6.9.0.23 but I doubt it makes a difference.
I'm surprised with your results, I didn't tune anything, everything was
configured automatically by mandriva. I'll see if I can try to run
lazarus itself remotely, just to check if my experience matches yours.

Bye
--
Luca Olivetti
Tel. +34 93 5883004      Fax +34 93 5883007