[Lazarus] Performance of GTK 2 and CE

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 18:07:16 CET 2008

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 2:49 PM, Mark Morgan Lloyd
<markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk> wrote:
> Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
>
>> I don't fiddle with graphics much. As long as I get the correct
>> resolution for my LCD or Laptop screen and my "flurry" screensaver
>> runs smoothly, I'm a happy man. :-)  My OS is a stock standard Ubuntu
>> 7.10 (32 bit) and the occasional apt security updates.
>
> In the specific case of the laptop that I was able to use for the most
> complete set of tests that is a very clean system- it's had repeated
> ab-initio Debian "Lennys" installed onto it and it's not even got
> significant development files- the test programs were moved over as
> binaries.
>
>> Just curious... Could you compile the fpGUI UI Designer and run that
>> remotely? Alternatively, I can email you a binary if you don't want to
>> go through the compile process.  If I run any fpGUI based apps
>> remotely, I have no speed issues.
>
> I'm fairly happy compiling from scratch- what sources do I need, what
> (Debian) development packages am I likely to require, is this from GUI
> or from command line and in either case what special instructions?

Source is available from SourceForge.net and you can get it as follows:

  svn co https://fpgui.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/fpgui/trunk fpgui

You can compile from command line or via Lazarus IDE. More detailed
instructions are in <fpgui>/src/readme.txt file.

Via Lazarus
  src/corelib/x11/fpgui_toolkit.lpk

Via command line
  src/build.sh

The fpGUI UI Designer project file is located in
<fpgui>/uidesigner/uidesigner.lpi
Alteratively you can compile from the command line as follows:
  cd <fpgui>/uidesigner
  fpc @extrafpc.cfg uidesigner.lpr

fpGUI requirements are low:
  X11 & Xlib dev packages
  xft dev package      (fpGUI only supports anti-aliased text under X11)

Regards,
  - Graeme -