[Lazarus] A new competitor to Lazarus and Free Pascal

Darius Blaszyk dhkblaszyk at zeelandnet.nl
Tue Nov 25 17:29:01 CET 2008

On Tue, 2008-11-25 at 16:35 +0100, Florian Klaempfl wrote:
> Florian Klaempfl schrieb:
>
> >> And even thought FPC and Lazarus has support for 'gprof', I don't know
> >> of a single developer that managed to get it working under Linux.  I
> >> tried numerous times before and searching my mailing list archive of 3
> >> years I can see numerous other developers also being unsuccessful. I
> >> always get a blank output file.  :-(
> >
> > Because everybody is using valgrind. I had no need to use gprof for
> > years because valgrind is much better.
>
> BTW: Just tried gprof under linux, works as described in the manual.

There is a basic native pascal profiler named fprofiler. It's in the
fpcprojects section in SVN. The basics work although there are a lot of
optimizations possible.
The profiler works by inserting timing calls in the actual code, by
parsing it first. I wrote a wrapper for the compiler (named fpp) to
handle that.

http://svn.freepascal.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/fpprofiler/trunk/?root=fpcprojects

Would be nice to create an IDE addin for this tool for Lazarus at some
point, never thought of that before.

Darius