[Lazarus] Extending the editor's hinting functionality

Reenen Laurie rlaurie at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 22:06:19 CEST 2008

I just tested it, and very very cool.  You see it by hovering over the
selected keyword.  Also (dunno if this was fixed earlier) but the little box
expands now so you can see the whole syntax.

I don't think there is any other IDE's that does this.  Lazarus rocks!

Question:
When adding a comment in the next line... is the < part of the necessary
syntax?

Regards,
-Reenen

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 11:37 AM, Mattias Gärtner
<nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de>wrote:

> Zitat von Tom Verhoeff <T.Verhoeff at tue.nl>:
>
> > I would like to throw up a suggestion for extending the editor's hinting
> > functionality.
> >
> > We use Lazarus in a first-year introductory programming course.
> > One of the rules in our coding standard is that every variable
> > declaration needs to be accompanied by an explanatory comment.
> >
> > It would be nice if the editor could show the comment associated with the
> > variable's declaration when you enter/point at an occurrence of that
> > variable.
> >
> > This resembles the functionality where you get the routine prototype
> > when entering/pointing at a routine invocation.
> >
> > Of course, this could apply to other names as well (constants, types,
> > routines).  In fact, for routines, the prototype only shows you the
> > _syntactic_ specifics of that routine.  _Semantic_ specifics are
> typically
> > addressed in a comment.
> >
> > It might be necessary to use a special marker (cf. Javadoc) to
> > help the editor recognize such comments-to-be-used-for-hinting.
> >
> > This functionality would further increase the value of adding comments
> > to definitions and declarations.
>
> Implemented in svn 16843.
> For example:
> var
>  i: integer; // comment starting in same line
>  c: char;
>    {< long comment starting in next line}
>
> Comments in front are not yet implemented.
>

> > By the way, I hired a student (Thorstin Crijns) to do some work on
> > improving Lazarus for educational use.  This should benefit all Lazarus
> > users, both aspiring beginners and experienced users.
>
> Great.
>

> > You'll be hearing more from Thorstin in the future.
> >
> > I have asked him to start with the built-in help facility and
> > documentation.  Other items on the list are the built-in debugger
> support,
> > and template support.  Editor features could be another thing, but he
> > will need more help there.
>
> :)
>
> Mattias

o__