[Lazarus] Carbon: UTF8 and few component showing rect characters

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 12:38:10 CEST 2008

> I'm more convinced now that Lazarus, at least for Carbon, doesn't fully
> support UTF8. If you take a TLabel and set its caption to
>
> 印刷

I added this to my form OnCreate (I don't know how to type it):

  Label1.Caption :=  '印刷';

With the Osaka font and it displays correctly. With the Lucida Grande
font it indeed does not display correctly so I can only assume that
this font does not support those characters.

> I presume the native controls like TEdit in Carbon uses the system font, but
> how come there's this difference when using the same font name? Does the
> native controls automatically switch to Japanese fonts like "Hiragino" when
> they encounter Japanese characters?

Maybe. I do not know how Mac OS X handles this internally. Lazarus
controls like TLabel do not do this. If you set it to use a font they
will always use it.

> I'm using Lazarus v0.9.27, FPC 2.2.2, rev 16907, on i386-darwin-carbon, but
> do I need to rebuild Lazarus with some option to support UTF8.

No, only UTF8 is supported in Mac OS X.

> I read Lazarus supports UTF8, so this looks more of a font issue, and a way of
> dealing with characters, which is not supported for a current font.

Yes, it's a font issue.

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho