[Lazarus] Cannot install Lazarus-0.9.26/fpc-2.2.2 on Suse 10.0, help needed

Bart bartjunk64 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 15:02:17 CET 2008

On 10/28/08, Florian Klaempfl <florian at freepascal.org> wrote:
> Building everything from source should work, even more for FPC itself
>  you can use the tar archive to install.

Ok, I'll try that then, but I haven some questions about how to proceed.
Some time ago I tried to build fpc from source on Windows. I did a
make cycle, and then a make install. This worked in the sense that I
now had a working compiler and fp IDE. However I never was able to use
this version with Lazarus, since the source-tree (from the tar
archive) did not remotely resemble the source-tree
\Lazarus\fpc\2.2.2\source, and I could not jump into the fpc source
(ctrl-click in the Lazarus IDE) anymore.

Firts the task of setting up a working fpc 2.2.2 from source.
We'll see about setting up Lazarus from SVN later (I've done that on
Windows, so I guess I'll be able to do that on Linux too).

I downloaded fpcbuild-2.2.2.tar.gz
I'll unpack it somewhere.

Since I do have a current working fpc 2.2.0, I guess it would not be a
good idea to "install" the new one in the same directory (if something
goes wrong, I might be left behind with no fpc at all)? My current fpc
source is in /usr/share/fpcsrc.

I guess I'll first have to do
make cycle PP=/path/to/current/fpc (in the fpcbuild-2.2.2 directory), then a
make clean all     then a
make install INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/local OPT='-gl'
to get a working fpc 2.2.2?

Does this sound like a good plan?
I read Marco's build-faq, but it's way to complicted for simple me {:-)

Bart