[Lazarus] 0.9.26 (FPC 2.2.2) on Slackware and Debian

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Fri Oct 31 08:36:53 CET 2008

Marco Ciampa wrote:

> Please do create the ubuntu ppc packages too. I'm trying to use the Debian
> packages on ubuntu with this result:
>
> ./fpc: working
> ./fp: working
> ./lazarus-ide:
> [FORMS.PP] ExceptionOccurred
>   Sender=EAccessViolation
>   Exception=Access violation
>   Stack trace:
>   $BFF78C08

The whole point is that I wasn't using the Debian package, for the
simple reason that I want up-to-date FPC and Lazarus rather than one
which is two or three years old.

Now I don't /do/ Ubuntu, for the simple reason that I'm running several
different architectures here while Ubuntu is x86-specific, so possibly
somebody with experience of that distro would like to comment.

If nobody with experience does comment, I'd suggest doing this:

* De-install the Debian Lazarus and FPC packages in reverse order to how
you installed them.

* Install the x86 Linux 2.2.2 FPC binary.

* Test fpc and fp with a trivial program.

* Install Lazarus 0.9.26 source into e.g. /usr/local/share/lazarus.

* Use chown to assign them to yourself rather than root.

* Depending on the version of gtk that whatever version of Ubuntu you're
running uses install the gtk/pixbuf package I mentioned yesterday evening.

* Build Lazarus, add a symlink /usr/local/bin/lazarus ->
/usr/local/share/lazarus/lazarus.

That should work. There's no great rocket science in there and while it
is an hour or two's work it certainly beats the insecurity of having an
uncertain mix of libraries on your system.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk