[Lazarus] Impossible to debug with Lazarus IDE

Horacio Jamilis hjamilis at pymesoft.com.ar
Fri Oct 31 13:02:59 CET 2008

Vincent Snijders escribió:
> Graeme Geldenhuys schreef:
>
>> On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 10:19 AM, Martin Schreiber <fpmse at bluewin.ch> wrote:
>>
>>> Correct. MSEide can not access property values. Fortunately prepending the
>>> property name with 'F' usual works because of the naming convention.
>>>
>> That was a handy trick. I managed to debug my program in Lazarus IDE
>> yesterday, using that method. Thanks.
>>

>>> Calling a property getter function is dangerous because the function often
>>> does more than simply return the value.
>>>
>> I do not think that matters much. Properties are a fundamental
>> language feature in Object Pascal and are used often, so the debugger
>> must support it. Plus the code you are debugging doesn't care what's
>> happing in the Getter method, it is only concerned with the result
>> returned. So if the result return is not what you expected in that
>> code location, then debug the Getter method or step into the Getter
>> method. This worked for Delphi and Kylix from the start.
>>

> Well, it can become tricky. Suppose you try to debug something in the
> form creating and initial showing. If you inspect the MyForm.Handle, the
> handle gets created. Now, the handle is created at another point in the
> initialization sequence than at normal run time.

This is a risk, the debugger user shoud be aware of, but viewing and
setting property values must work in the debugger, as it does in Delphi.
I am with Graeme in this!
I also believe that the Object Pascal Internal Debugger is an important
thing missing in this project, but I think I don´t have the skills to
contribute on this :-(

Horacio