[Lazarus] ide enhancement - method or cursor location belongs to what class?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 11:42:48 CEST 2009

Hi,

I often have large classes that are bigger than what the source editor
can display at once.  I'm mainly talking about tiOPF project here.
Anyway, I receive patches for large methods and use the IDE 'goto
line' command to maybe review or modify a received patch.  Again, the
IDE only shows me lines of code, I can't clearly see which class I am
currently working in. Ctrl+Shift+UpArrow doesn't reveal this info
either, because again the class declaration is large and doesn't fit
into the source editor all at once.

Is there a way to quickly see what class I am currently in without
loosing my current position in the source code?  I was thinking of
maybe some editor shortcut that could display for a few seconds the
classname in the top right corner of the editor and then simply fade
away. Is this possible? Is there already something similar in Lazarus
IDE or another way of know what class I am currently in?

I remember in the VB6 days, there was two edit fields above the
editor. One listed the module or class (I think) and the other listed
the procedure you were in. So clearly knowing where you are is handy
to more than just me. :-)

Regards,
  - Graeme -