[Lazarus] How to compile lazarus from its SVN source in WinXP?

Martin Friebe lazarus at mfriebe.de
Mon Apr 6 14:16:49 CEST 2009

Leslie Kaye wrote:
> Popeye Spinach wrote:
>> I have checked out latest lazarus from SVN using TortoiseSVN. I have
>> also downloaded FPC 2.2.2 installer and fpcbuild2.2.2.
>>
>> What then now? I coudn't follow the instructions
>> in http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Getting_Lazarusi
>> <http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Getting_Lazarusi>. The
>> information for compiling under WinXP seems has outdated.
>> Please somebody here tell me how to do that?
>>
> The idle way is to install a nightly build
> http://snapshots.lazarus.shikami.org/lazarus/
> then SVN on top of your install directory (C:\lazarus ?)
> Run lazarus.exe then off the menu use Tools | Configure build Lazarus
> | Clean up and build all

A  bit cleaner (IMHO) Install a snapshot, with the desired FPC version,
copy the fpc to a separate location. (Update the fpc.cfg file in the bin
directory, so it has the new path info)
- if you update fpc later, keep your fpc.cfg file

Now check out Lazarus from SVN, copy the existing lazarus.exe, into your
checkout.
- Create a windows-shortcut, and edit the properties.
  Add a --primary-config-path (or -pcp) to the command line (so it
doesn't interfere with any other install, it is much easier to create a
new config once, than to sort the mess you get if 2 installations try to
use the same config)
- Start this lazarus, edit the config to point to your fpc
- compile lazarus from the menu, and restart it

Whatever you do, make sure you have no spaces in the path.