[Lazarus] mbox mail format conversion to SQL database

David W Noon david.w.noon at ntlworld.com
Mon Apr 6 18:02:30 CEST 2009

On Mon, 2009-04-06 at 16:26 +0200, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> I'm about to tackle this project. It seems that the mbox mail format
> is quite simple. But to save myself some time... if anybody knows of a
> tool that can convert mbox mail into SQL database tables that would be
> great.

There is a MDA called dbmail that uses PostgreSQL or MySQL as its
storage back-end. You can import messages into it using your favourite
MUA (e.g. KMail, Evolution, M$ Lookout) and it will store them using
dbmail's POP3 or IMAP4 interface.

In fact, dbmail is so good I use it as my main mailserver. I use a
PostgreSQL database for the back-end.

[AFAIAA, dbmail runs only on POSIX platforms (Linux, FreeBSD, etc.), so
if you need to run it on Windows you could be SOL.]

Of course, other RDBMS's could pose a problem, as only PostgreSQL and
MySQL are supported. However, you could use some generic export tool to
extract the data from dbmail's tables to transfer the data to another
DBMS.

Dave  [RLU #314465]