[Lazarus] Large program size - 1.8 MB for empty GUI project

Mattias Gärtner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Tue Apr 7 15:21:45 CEST 2009

Zitat von Alexander Klenin <klenin at gmail.com>:

> On 2009-04-07, Mattias Gärtner <nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de> wrote:
>
> >> I strongly agree with Alexey here. The bug in FPC should be fixed and
> >> Lazarus source updated to remove unnecessary units from 'uses'
> >> clauses.
> >>
> >> Not so much for executable size, but for mantainabilty of the source.
> >
> > Yes. Avoid uses sections in implementations. This golden rule is true since
> > the
> > start of FPC.
> > Using implementation uses sections is asking for trouble.
>
> Eh... you mean 'no'? Because I argue _for_ 'uses' sections in implementation.

Oops. Sorry, then I misunderstood you.

Uses sections in implementation sections are buggy as long as I know fpc. The
problems are known but apparently too hard to track and fix. The bugs appear at
random and with various degrees depending on platform and fpc version. In some
years you think the bugs are fixed, and then they come back.
You have been warned: Don't use the imp sections.

I thought this was known:
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/DesignGuidelines

Mattias