[Lazarus] OT: Namespaces?

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk sanliturk at ttmail.com
Tue Apr 7 15:45:42 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 07 April 2009 05:36:43 am Mattias Gärtner wrote:
> Zitat von Hans-Peter Diettrich <DrDiettrich1 at aol.com>:
> > Mattias Gärtner schrieb:
>

> FPC supports unit alias in a unit, but it does not support two different
> ppu with the same name. At least 2.2.3 does not.
> You will get linker errors, because identifiers of the second unit1 have
> still the same prefix.
> It is probably a bug, that FPC does not check and gives an error in this
> case.
>

> Mattias

In Free Pascal configuration files ( .CFG ) there is no any unit alias name
definition facility ( or I could not find information about it ) .

Such a facility may be useful because by using that , it may be possible to
redefine different names for the different platforms , such as , for example

-Alias Linux = Windows
-Alias Unix = Windows

etc .

At present , it seems that it is necessary to use {$ifdef statements
to give different names for different platforms .

Another problem is .LPI files . When a project is developed in , let say
Windows , it is NOT usable in Linux or FreeBSD because their FPC and Lazarus
installation directory structures are very ( actually WILDLY ) different .

For large programs spanning a large number of directories it is becoming to
enter related directory names ( including FPC and Lazarus directory names )
once more to re-generate .LPI files .

With that structure it is not possible to develop a program in a server and
compile it it in different operating systems connected to that server .

To overcome this difficulty even it is necessary to be able to define
directory aliases , for example ,

-Alias \fpc\ = /home/actual_name/fpc/

 Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk