[Lazarus] Large program size - 1.8 MB for empty GUI project

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Wed Apr 8 22:32:34 CEST 2009

On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 03:55:54PM +0200, Marc Weustink wrote:
> > How recently was this all validated to still be a problem? I know FPC didn't
> > performed the (apparantly long due) unit system rewrite yet, but not that
> > much problems in that realm are reported in mantis anymore, even for the
> > current implementation.
>
> The only thing I know was that this only could be solved by the unit
> rewrite. Since it is not rewriten yet, I assume it is not fixed.

Afaik the rewrite had as an objective to make these errors rarer, and maybe
easier to detect (just like 2.0 fixed the constantly broken optimizer).

However that doesn't necessarily means that 2.2.x (and maybe the branch
based on 2.3.x if it doesn't receive the rewrite anymore) is a totally lost
case. Maybe some things (like relating cross units inlines) are a lost case,
but at least blatant problems should be reported.

If Lazarus as the most major user starts avoid these problems instead of
reporting them, that is worrying. Paul more or less proves the point with 2
bugs in a version cycle of which one is inlining related.