[Lazarus] Hints usability

Alexander Klenin klenin at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 22:53:38 CEST 2009

On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 07:17, Christian Iversen
<chrivers at iversen-net.dk> wrote:
> Ok, I can see what you're doing there. In my opinion, it's not very
> pretty. How about something like this:
>
> procedure SilenceHint(const A); inline;
> begin
> end;

I still prefer compiler-level solution, but if Lazarus team agrees,
I can use that method too. Anything for hints-free compilation ;-)

> My original point is that the "uninitialized variable" hint is so common
> that it becomes practically useless in certain applications -- for
> example lazarus ones. If you could say, e.g:
>
> {$HINT UNUSED_PARAMETER OFF}
>
> Then that would make it easier for you to spot the real problems.

Maybe it is not salvageable, but then IMHO the hint should disabled by default
in fpc.cfg.

> Granted, it wont catch the maybe 1-in-1000 actual "unused parameter"
> problems, but littering the code with UseParameter() "calls" seems, in
> my opinion, quite ugly, and a lot of work for a small gain.

One way to combat ugliness would be to use keyword, as in

  procedure TMyForm.Button1Click(unused ASender: TObject);

which is very nice and readable, but the price is probably too steep.

--
Alexander S. Klenin