[Lazarus] revision numbers of each SVN tag?

Doug Chamberlin dougchamberlin at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 14 20:12:54 CEST 2009

It seems to me that in this discussion of tags vs. branches collectively
we are not in disagreement about what tags are, what they mean, and how
they were intended to be used.

What disagreement there is seems to be in how to manage a release.
Specifically, the process of tagging a release and whether that process
should be atomic and immutable or whether it can be adjusted, as necessary.

If the tool allows tags to be changed, then some see that as a useful
option for adjusting a release that was, at first, incorrectly tagged.
Others see such an action as a violation of the proper process for
managing releases.

So, please let's talk about the discipline of managing releases.

If a branch has been designated as ready for release it should be tagged
and announced. If that process was faulty - for whatever reason - what
should happen? It seems to me that the answer to that question should be
decided *independently* of the capability of the tools being used and
also separately from the amount of effort involved. In other words,
doing the "right thing" is always the correct choice and we should work
toward making that easy to do.