[Lazarus] revision numbers of each SVN tag?

Alexander Klenin klenin at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 15:24:34 CEST 2009

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 00:02, Florian Klaempfl <florian at freepascal.org> wrote:
> Very difficult. If a release is created from a branch, nobody can ensure
> that all release builders built the release candidate from exactly the
> same revision, if they don't, things might be broken when the final
> release should be built.

Why not tag it x.y.z-pre1 then, and if all went well, additionally tag
the same revision
as x.y.z, otherwise create x.y.z-pre2 etc.?

> At cvs times we did this for fpc and we had to lock the branch to
> prevent commits (btw: can git lock branches ;)?)

Git (and Subversion too) can, in principle, "lock" branches using
pre-commit hook.
However, note that in git the whole problem does not exist, since in
the normal workflow
nobody except release manager can commit to "release" branch anyway.
Also, it you _do_ move a tag in git, everybody updating from your
repository will
get a big fat warning ;-)

--
Alexander S. Klenin