[Lazarus] revision numbers of each SVN tag?

Florian Klaempfl florian at freepascal.org
Thu Apr 16 09:18:47 CEST 2009

Doug Chamberlin schrieb:
> What if, in response to a last-minute show stopper bug, the scheduled
> release was immediately superseded by another one with a higher release
> number? What would be the harm?
>
> Do you really think that anyone likely to use these programs (FPC and
> Lazarus) would not be sympathetic and understanding about what happened
> and readily accommodate themselves to the fact that release x.y.z had a
> 1-day lifespan and that usable releases went from x.y.z to x.y.z+2?
> Especially if the explanation was readily available?

You missed the days when we skipped 1.0.8, right? It was an faq for
years: "where is version 1.0.8?"

> It's not like we are running out of release numbers or anything...
>
> Also, I don't buy the argument that doing this would delay the new
> release another 4 months. After all, it would be the exact same code
> being released under the "move the tag" scenario so no additional delay
> would be needed.

It requires at least another release candidate to get the version number
at all placed right (compiler, makefiles, docs, readmes, installers
....) and let it check by other people  and to test if all defines are
still correct. And the more release candidates you do, the more tired
builders get, so times spans get longer and longer with every release
candidate.