[Lazarus] Linux Journal article

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Thu Aug 6 16:30:24 CEST 2009

On Thu, 6 Aug 2009 09:14:06 -0500
Andrew Brunner <andrew.t.brunner at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 8:28 AM, Vincent
> Snijders<vsnijders at vodafonevast.nl> wrote:
> > I fear I cannot follow you. Since two months or so, we want to make
> > a release. We have identified critical bugs and regressions that we
> > want to resolve before the release and marked them with the 0.9.28
> > target. Do you say we should start a release anyway, even if it
> > these critical issue have not been fixed? What do you mean by "kick
> > off".
>
> The bug tracking software would need to include a flag for a bug that
> would cause the build process to be blocked.

All bugs in the 0.9.28 section stops the release of 0.9.28. They are
all stop-release bugs.

> Critical bugs are not
> ones that can be carried over to the next release.  A "Stop-Release"
> flag are from flaws that cause data corruption or crashes in the IDE,
> or any others that someone else can suggest here.

Most regressions are also critical for a release.

>[...]
> I see a "Major" tag assigned to a scroll key getting stuck.  To me,
> this is not "Stop-Release" kind of bug but it is listed as a Major
> flaw.  While this flaw was marked as "Major" it should never be
> flagged as a "Stop-Release" flag.

It's a pretty annoying bug, but luckily it appears only on few
machines. So the "Major" depends on pov.

> > Please, provide patches for the remaining 10 0.9.28 issues and we
> > start release building tomorrow.
>
> I am going to help pound out a few of those bugs.  But I think before
> I start I would like to know my efforts are being applied to a
> concerted endeavor.  So, how difficult would it be to examine all of
> those issues and sift through them, assigning a "Stop-Release" flag to
> them.  Certianly, an interim release would not have to have all bugs
> resolved... Just the "Stop-Release" ones.
>
> Q: Out of all outstanding bugs... How many would be "Stop-Release"
> flagged ?

All.
If a bug's annoyance level can be lowered far enough or if no good fix
can be found, then it can be moved to the next version.

Mattias