[Lazarus] LazReport Status

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg at opensoft.homeip.net
Thu Aug 13 23:02:23 CEST 2009

Lee Jenkins wrote:

> Anyone using LazReport in production environment?  I'd like to start
> doing more GUI based projects in Lazarus but lack of a good reporting
> tool is a deterrent for may types of projects that I do.

In tiOPF there is a RTFReport.pas unit that I ported to Free Pascal. It's a single unit, but is actually a full reporting engine. It allows you to report from tiOPF based Objects, other custom data or TDatasets. I design my reports templates using OpenOffice and save them in RTF format. The RTFReport engine then runs through the template populating it with data and store a completed report again in RTF format. In even has support for adding custom functions, calculated fields etc in the reports.

I prefer using OpenOffice for designing and viewing reports, because when you launch OpenOffice to view the report, you can put it in read-only mode which hides most of the toolbars and menus and it actually looks like a "print preview" report viewer. MS Office does not do this. Even though I use OpenOffice, any application that can read/write RTF files. But OpenOffice is free and our clients seem to like it too.

I'm pretty sure it will be easy to remove tiOPF dependencies from the RTFReport unit, so it can be used as a stand-alone (non tiOPF based) report engine.

Regards,
 - Graeme -