[Lazarus] Multi-threading support in IDE

Mattias Gärtner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Fri Aug 14 14:24:53 CEST 2009

Zitat von Martin Schreiber <fpmse at bluewin.ch>:

> On Friday 14 August 2009 13:22:01 Florian Klaempfl wrote:
>>
>> It probably requires to rewrite FPC completely :) FPC chooses always
>> maintainability and portability over speed and compared with gcc or even
>> VS, FPC is still fast ;)
>>
> True, but the distance will be less with every FPC release if compiling speed
> is not observed I fear.
> The possibility of Delphi to compile big projects in some seconds and small
> projects in less than a second on simple PC's has already gone in FPC. :-(

Huh?

I have some small programs with one thousand lines in the main source
and using units with about 30k loc. Recompile and linking the program
takes less than a second.
The main work is spent in loading the ppus and of course the gnu slow linker.
I'm confident that a compiler kept in memory reusing the parsed ppus
should be able to compile even medium sized LCL projects in less than
a second.
Of course linking and writing a 20mb exe with debugging information to
disk will take some time.

Mattias