[Lazarus] Multi-threading support in IDE

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Fri Aug 14 18:03:25 CEST 2009

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> Martin Schreiber wrote:
>>
>> 25 s is too much to wait and too little to sleep. ;-)
>
> I so agree with that! :-)
>
> Same command line params as yours - on a Intel P4 2.4Ghz.
>  322187 lines compiled, 33.6 sec
>
> And with the -sh parameter.
>  322187 lines compiled, 28.7 sec

These numbers tell you exactly nothing. At best they give
you an indication of how complex your project is.

I have Delphi compile times of over 2 minutes on projects
that have maybe 5.000 lines. It takes this long, because
there are a lot of dependencies on external packages and
whatnot, and Delphi takes a long time loading the packages
and correctly resolving the symbols.

Just for fun, I once managed to have delphi compiling 5 minutes
(!) on a single form project. (granted, I did put up some messy
dependencies :))

The only way to measure the compiler speed is to create
1 very large unit (say 500.000 lines) and let the compilers
compile that single unit.

Michael.