[Lazarus] Lazarus and Windows 7

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Sat Aug 15 12:01:01 CEST 2009

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> Paul Ishenin wrote:
>> Indeed. We are mostly testing with english version. There captions
>> fits fine into designed width.
>
> And the same issue appears for Afrikaans language as well. I've said
> it before and I'll say it again. All modern GUI toolkits support
> layout managers. These layout managers query each component and asks
> for the preferred size and minimum size. Minimum size from all
> components will dictate the minimum size of the dialog or form, so no
> clipping ever occurs.
>
> VCL is very outdated in this regard. LCL is slightly better with more
> advanced alignment and sizing options, but a full layout manager
> support is still missing.  Even with the English language I often see
> captions or groupboxes or labels being clipped, because those dialogs
> might have been designed under Windows, but because GTK2 components
> are normally larger, things don't fit.

The problem is deeper.

Except for the outer window (and you can check the wiki, there is an
article that explains why autosizing is limted for the outer window),
except for that all the buttons etc are autosizing.

But even if the window was autosizing, that would make the problem worse.

I have some boxes that run a VGA resolution (either 800*600 or even
640*400) and the dialogs just fit, some even are to big, and it's
painfull to impossible to get to the ok button (know where it is, and
count tabs untill you believe it has focus).

So make the window/dialog bigger and thinks will be even harder.

Martin