[Lazarus] Lazarus has unique font sizes

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg at opensoft.homeip.net
Sat Aug 15 15:14:12 CEST 2009

Marc Weustink wrote:

> I admit a little explenation would help since it is not so trivial.

Thanks for the explanation - definitely not a "general knowledge" thing. Searching in Google I found no mention of this in any other GUI toolkits or IDE's - so I gather this is a Delphi VCL specific thing?

Does the rest of LCL's TFont work the same, or is this negative size font only implemented in TSynEdit?

> A positive fontsize is the size of a font in points
> A negative fontsize is the size of a font in points including the
> internal leading at the top of the line

So in GTK1, GTK2, Qt and the myriad of other GUI toolkits with font dialogs. When the user selects 12pt font, which one is it. Option 1 or 2 above?

So where exactly or why would you use the negative font size? Like I said, I have never seen this anywhere else but in Lazarus IDE.

Regards,
 - Graeme -