[Lazarus] Lazarus has unique font sizes

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg at opensoft.homeip.net
Sat Aug 15 15:41:38 CEST 2009

Vincent Snijders wrote:

> Google found for me http://support.microsoft.com/kb/32667
>
> It is not Delphi specific, but has windows roots.

I still don't know how they got to negative font height idea. The Xlib and Xft font metrics documentation, and various other docs on the net, defines font height as the Ascent + Descent. And that is how I implemented it in fpGUI, and how it's implemented in a few other GUI toolkits I looked at.

Even if it comes from Microsoft (and note, not everything from Microsoft is great), I have never seen anybody specify a font height in MS Office using a negative value. Then again, I switched to OpenOffice years ago.

I really don't think it makes sense using it in the Lazarus IDE.

Regards,
 - Graeme -