[Lazarus] Lazarus has unique font sizes

Sergei Gorelkin sergei_gorelkin at mail.ru
Sat Aug 15 18:56:47 CEST 2009

Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

> User, yes. programmer: no.
>
> As I understood it, the difference is as follows:
> - Setting size selects the point size of the font, no matter what the
> DPI is.
> - Setting height sets the pixel size of the font, and then the correct
> point size
>   is calculated (using DPI) so the height is reached.
>
> The second option had to be chosen if you wanted your font to be the same
> pixel height no matter what the DPI.
>
> Makes sense to me, we only use height at work, never ever size.

It should be that way, but font selection in Lazarus editor
configuration is simply buggy as hell.

For me (on Windows XP), initially there is 18 in 'font size' combo.
Pressing button with ellipsis displays Windows font selection dialog, in
which size is set to 14, and the font sample in preview looks a bit
larger than the font in Lazarus. After closing font selection dialog by
clicking 'OK' without any changes, the value in 'font size' combo
changes to -19, and the font in Lazarus preview becomes about twice
bigger than it was.

Regards,
Sergei