[Lazarus] Lazarus has unique font sizes

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Mon Aug 17 12:08:06 CEST 2009

Graeme Geldenhuys schrieb:

>>> First of all: Take a look in the wiki log and you will see that every
>>> day things are updated or added.
>> That's no excuse for the absence of a compact general documentation or
>> help on all classes, properties and methods. The interfaces don't change
>> so often, or cannot be changed at all for Delphi compatibility.
>
> Such comments will not get you far. Lazarus is a community project. So
> help by contributing!

This way a lot of projects ended up unfinished :-(
If every contributor does only what he likes to do, and asks others to
take the nasty remaining things on their shoulders, then those things
never will be done.

>> Instead of adding to the wiki, notes also could be created by fpdoc and
>> added to the SVN, provided that every user has write access to the
>> documentation folder.
>
> Nope, all you need to do is generate a patch against the documentation
> and submit it here or preferably in mantis where somebody with write
> access can submit it. The FPC documentation and LCL documentation
> works like that.

You note that little difference, that allows to write a mail or into the
wiki, and everything's done?

Of course it would be a kick if all patches to the documentation are
reviewed by the developers, before they add the patch to the repository.
But as long as the creation of an patch is required *only* due to the
lack of immediate write access, it's another hurdle for all
underprivileged contributors.

> I think the Lazarus IDE documentation should too. I hate online
> documentation, I need things local where it is fast to view. I can
> (and have) done that for the FPC compiler and it works well.

Right, I also prefer local help, but it should be possible to share
local docs with the community in the same easy way.

> BTW: If you run Linux and own a copy of Kylix or maybe have the Kylix
> Open Edition still lying around, you can use it's help directly from
> the Lazarus IDE. I enabled my Kylix 3 help (as described on the wiki).
> I now have context sensitive help on anything related to Object
> Pascal.

That's why I suggested an "official" request, from the Lazarus team to
CodeGear, for a license of the Delphi help. I already started to import
parts of the Delphi OH, but without a license agreement I cannot make my
work available to the community.

DoDi