[Lazarus] Groupboxes in the IDE

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 20:38:14 CEST 2009

2009/8/27 Martin <lazarus at mfriebe.de>:

> Actually, I attempted to create a frame for this, but run into some bugs
> that prevented it.

And you didn't fix those bugs?  ;-)  Actually I never even though of
using a TFrame - that could have worked as well.

> - it may become collapsible

This was my second thought for a custom "grouping" component. For the
more complex dialogs the grouping component would maybe collapse the
more advanced (or less used) options by default.

> IMHO not. I think the notebook is better solved by hiding the tabs, and
> using a listbox or even tree-view (sort by directory,...).

For GTK2, I hacked my copy of the editor notebook so that tabs appear
on the right with horizontal text. Windows can position tabs too, but
the text defaults to vertical which makes it much harder to read and
does not save on space - which defeats the whole exercise.

To overcome the Windows tabs on right with vertical text issue, you
need to do custom drawing to solve it. Hence my idea of a custom
component for editor notebook. The other benefit will be that all
widgets can be made to support the "x" close button on tabs. I have no
idea how OS X looks with tabs on right or left edges - if it's even
possible. Again a reason for custom drawn notebook component.

The idea of the listbox is actually a good one. There is already a
nice Lazarus add-on which uses a listbox, supports drag-to-reorder and
does filtering. I haven't had time to see if I can manually dock it
inside the editor window. My copy of Lazarus already has two manually
docked add-ons. The editor toolbar and the embedded messages window
below the editor. So this makes it a bit more tricking docking the
file listbox add-on.

Regards,
  - Graeme -