[Lazarus] 2 questions about Component properties

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Tue Dec 1 13:08:54 CET 2009

About the version numbering, I already discussed that a long time ago,
and it had no effect back then.

In my opinion the current requirements are impossible to achieve, just
look at the Qt (yes Qt, not lcl-qt) list of open bugs, its huge and
they are a private company with many full-time developers and are in
version 4.5 and their quality is very high. It's impossible to have a
software without bugs.

Whenever a bug is fixed another is found, you can see Lazarus remains
at almost constant 900 bug count. When a bug is fixed, more people use
Lazarus and then they find new bugs. And also the easier to solve bugs
are solved first, then you remain with harder bugs which take more
time to solve. In my university we learn that 90% of the time of a
project is necessary for the last 10% of the fixes.

But the proponents of the restrictive numbering do have a case that
the gtk2 interface has an awful lot of bugs, which makes behavior
between platforms inconsistent. You can't say that the change from gtk
to gtk2 cause this, rather gtk was even much worse because of
structural limits of gtk.

In the long run I expect that if gtk2 doesn't improve, then the Qt
interface will improve beyond it and we will have a Lazarus 1.0 in 1
or 2 years with one of the two.

On Sun, Nov t9, 2009 at 4:09 PM, Florian Klaempfl
<florian at freepascal.org> wrote:
> As far as I understood, it's an axiom of the lazarus project to use the
> native widgetset ;)

Yes and no, we can use non-native widgets with lcl-qt, or futurely
with lcl-fpgui.

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho