[Lazarus] QT bindings as defalt (was Release 1.0, part 2)

Phil Hess macpgmr at fastermac.net
Tue Dec 1 17:20:12 CET 2009

One of the points about Orpheus and other ported packages that I should probably make is that I've been in contact with Roman Kassebaum who maintains the Orpheus SourceForge projects and recently updated Orpheus for Unicode on Delphi 2009/2010. We've discussed possibly merging our codebases and also possibly trying to support DelphiX when/if it's released.

Fortunately since I maintained full Delphi compatibility in my port, that should make merging a bit easier. But I have to say that Roman was quite dismayed to learn that ports of many other packages that he uses were done as one-way ports to Lazarus, leaving Delphi compatibility behind. I could sense his interest in Lazarus quickly dissipating.

Roman's largest app is 2.3 million lines of code! I've been encouraging him to see how much of it he can get compiled with Lazarus, not so much to offer the app on other platforms, but as a way of further testing his code and expanding his world (in the U.S., engineers call this sort of effort a "skunkworks" project - historically lots of great original things come out of those). This would also be a good test of Lazarus. But if the other packages have changed significantly from their Delphi sources, then this might be difficult for him to do.

Thanks.

-Phil