[Lazarus] Release 1.0, part 2

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk sanliturk at ttmail.com
Wed Dec 2 11:22:10 CET 2009

Vincent Snijders wrote:
> Mehmet Erol Sanliturk schreef:
>>

>> Unfortunately , there is a concept < law of conservation of bugs >
>> mentioned in the page
>>
>> http://www.site.uottawa.ca:4321/oose/index.html#lawofconservationofbugs
>
> Does that mean, we should stop fixing bugs, because you only get more?
>
> Vincent
>
> --

No , it says that fixing bugs will generate new bugs .
Also , please , consider the law about relation between size of software
and number of bugs .

Such concepts make fixing bugs a natural situation and this is not a
fault of the developers : It is caused by complexity of software and
capability level of human beings . The goal is to reduce number of bugs
as much as possible in a level that they do not make unbearable damages .

Personally , I am encountering this situation sometimes .

Assume in a program there a three parts :

.
.
.
Part One
.
.
.
Part Two
.
.
.
Part Three
.
.
.

I am getting a bug in Part Two . I do not know that the cause is in Part
One . I am fixing Part Two .
Part Three is using Part Two . Fixing Part Two is generating a bug in
Part Three . I am Fixing the Part Three .

Everything is going well .

Later on I realize that there is a bug in Part One . I am fixing it .
This is causing a bug in Part Two .

I am fixing Part Two .

This is causing a bug in Part Three .
I am fixing Part Three .

This is continuing in chain like the above steps .

The pages listed in my previous message is to emphasize this point :

In a complex software ( which its total comprehension is beyond human
capability ) occurrence of bugs is natural and fixing those bugs is an
unavoidable step . Then the main point is to eliminate damaging bugs as
much as possible .

Another fact is that no one of any complex software is able to stay
fixed over time because all of them are used in a dynamic environment .
Changes in this environment is generating a bunch of new bugs to fix .

Then life is going in that way .

If we stop fixing bugs , we encounter < software rot > situation .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk