[Lazarus] Lazarus crashing

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk sanliturk at ttmail.com
Wed Dec 2 15:48:08 CET 2009

Steve Harp wrote:
> Hi All,
>

> I’m new to Lazarus and Free Pascal but I’ve been using Delphi since v2.
> I’ve got some old Delphi apps that I need to compile for Linux.  I’m
> using Lazarus v0.9.28.2 beta on openSUSE 11.2 64-bit.  The IDE loads
> fine and the About box displays normally.  However, when I select
> File/Open, the open file dialog displays with a blank dialog on top with
> Lazarus in the title bar but no text or buttons.  I believe it’s trying
> to display an error message.  When I close this dialog, Lazarus closes.
> Any ideas?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Steve

Delphi form definitions are not compliant to Lazarus forms . Therefore
if you try to Delphi sources with some modifications to complete a
compilation successfully it is very likely that you will get the above
results .

My suggestion would be as follows :

(1) If there are computation parts within Delphi form related procedures
such as click_Button_x and others , move these parts into independent (
from Delphi form ) non-GUI procedures as much as possible .

(2) Re-generate your forms by Lazarus and call those independent non-GUI
procedures from your form procedures . Your Lazarus generated forms will
work . If they do not work you may ask help from Lazarus users .

Personally I do not have an exhaustive list of features and variables
one by one comparing Lazarus and Delphi forms and guidelines to complete
different features . The easiest and shortest way is to generate forms
by Lazarus .

Since you have a working prototype in Delphi , such a re-design should
be easy .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk