[Lazarus] Configure Build Lazarus

Vincent Snijders vsnijders at vodafonevast.nl
Fri Dec 4 09:05:10 CET 2009

Juha Manninen schreef:
> On torstai, 3. joulukuuta 2009 23:31:24 Mattias Gaertner wrote:
>> [...]
>>> There are also some logical mistakes in the UI. Like the Quick Build
>>> Options page has separate settings for "LCL interface" Target and IDE. It
>>> gives an impression you could set two different interfaces at once but
>>> you can't because they are mapped to the same
>>> "LCL [<-typofix] interface" list on advanced tab.
>> You can build the IDE for qt and the LCL for wince.
>>
>>> The dialog has some more issues with its UI design but I am planning to
>>> write another mail of it and propose improvements.
>> The advanced page is for the IDE development or to compile the LCL with
>> some special flags.
>> The quick page is for those using svn or cross compilation.
>
> Thanks for explaining.
> I understand now that all the functionality there is needed.
>
> 3. For IDE developers only. I have basically just compiled Lazarus from SVN
> but still I am using the Advanced tab most of the time. I even get
> instructions like: "go to Advanced tab and deselect Examples".
> It is used by most Lazarus users, I dare to say. Hands up who haven't used it?
> Even a programmer's innate curiosity forces him to look at it and study its
> logic. Detailed settings also work as visual explanation of what the quick
> options do. I select Build All. What "All"? Then I see the detailed list and
> realize: ok, that "All".
>
> If you really want to create config options only for IDE developers then you
> should hide them in a separate dialog and show it with a certain command line
> switch. Then you must make sure that the remaining options are enough for
> everyone else.

It is not just for IDE developers, but also for LCL developers to set extra options
(e.g. enabling range checking).

FYI, originally, there was only the advanced tab (without tab), but users found that
too complicated. So the current content was put on a advanced tab and a quick build
was added in front.

http://www.mail-archive.com/lazarus@miraclec.com/msg16989.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/lazarus@miraclec.com/msg17833.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/lazarus@miraclec.com/msg18289.html