[Lazarus] Problem with fshcomp package

Tomaž Zupan tomaz.zupan at orpo.si
Tue Dec 15 10:00:28 CET 2009

Hello Lazarus-List,

Tuesday, December 15, 2009, 12:51:53 AM, you wrote:

>> 1) Both panels (regular and advanced) must have a fixed separation in
>> between (some air).
JM> True. Added a splitter.

Much better :)

>> 2) Border of list in quick options is not left and right centered.

JM> Border? Do you mean the texts?

Not, but maybe it is a control limitation. In the "Build options"
there is something like a listview with some icons in the top. The "X"
icon is a bit left and just below it, there is a space (around 5-10
pixels), but the same box in the right have nothing.

>> 3) LCL interface box is not of same height as left box, ans is not top
>> aligned. Also the text "LCL interface" should be presented in a
>> distinguible fashion as a title, like a different background color
>> from left to right extended.
JM> The radiogroup is actually "alClient" aligned meaning it should occupy all the
JM> space there is. This is a radiogroup specific problem.
JM> I want to replace it with a combobox anyway.

If it is a control limitation nothing can be done, except change the
global design.

>> 4) The texts "Options", "Target OS", etc, must have some air in the
>> left. Also the bottom checkboxes. Also the texts does not match the
>> top of their comboboxes and text edits which produces a serious visual
>> conflict.
JM> I moved the texts but I now I experience a same Form Designer problem that I
JM> had earlier. When I try to move the "Options:" label, other controls move with
JM> it. As you can see it is too high and can't be moved separately.
JM> Must do a bug report later.

Controls are being moved quite sure because they are anchored ones to
others, maybe you must remove all anchors (to other objects) while you
design.

>> 5) "Help" and "Close" buttons must be bigger to allow
>> internacionalization.
JM> They are autosized. Made Build and Save Profiles autosized, too. Now Build
JM> looks too narrow.

Autosized buttons are great for internacionalization but awful from
the design point of view. Also the Delphi way of placing icons just
side by side with text is "catastrofic" :) unless you set the same
button 20 times :)

>> 6) Black line below "Profiles", remove or add the same to "Build
>> options".
JM> What black line? Are we looking at the same pics?

Yes. It seems to be the 3D effect of the "Add, Remove, Rename"
toolbar.

>> Maybe this is very platform specific but the advanced should be in the
>> left side and profiles in the right one due the "Close" button.
JM> Uh, I don't know about that.

As most people is right hand dealing with the mouse they (or us) have
some inclination to leave the mouse in the right portion of the screen
so more important (not used, important) operations should be in the
right-bottom (in the bottom because most people have screens located
upper their waists.

JM> Updated
JM> http://koti.phnet.fi/juhamann/Lazarus/BuildLazDetails.jpg
JM> with those few changes.

It looks much better, cleaner and organized. Non aligned controls
creates confusion in the brain, so as much squared divided the
interface much easy to understand in a simple view and of course
that's the reason that buttons in the horizontal plane must have the
same height and buttons in the vertical one the same width.

It is much easy to understand this:

------------------
| % Button 1     |
------------------
------------------
| % More large   |
------------------
------------------
| % Sh           |
------------------

Than the "delphi" way:

------------------
|   % Button 1   |
------------------
------------------
|  % More large  |
------------------
------------------
|     % Sh       |
------------------

Because text centered are quite easy to be detected but centered icons
forces the brain to detect if the icon is a graphic or a letter and
creates a unpleasant disorder sensation. In the first example is easy
to use buttons based in their icon, in the second your brain must
search for it. The solution is autosize:

--------------
| % Button 1 |
--------------
----------------
| % More large |
--------
| % Sh |
--------

It is easy but not looking nice due different vertical right limits.

I think I'm completly off topic now :) Sorry.

--
Best regards,
 JoshyFun