[Lazarus] Lazarus 0.9.29, editor indenting

Bernd Mueller mueller.b at gmx.net
Tue Dec 15 12:01:09 CET 2009

2009/12/15 Graeme Geldenhuys <graemeg.lists at gmail.com>:

> And how bad does it look when a component paints outside it's bounds. Quick
> answer - Terrible! Considering that I have not seen a single other GUI
> toolkit allow that, it IS simply a bug in GTK2.

This will only happen if the developer goes against the gtk
documentation and explicitly sets the size of a widget.  So no, it's a
bug in the developer.  The way to do gtk development is to use the
various layout containers and to let gtk take care of resizing things
for you - not to plonk widgets onto a window at hard coded points.  If
lazarus want their widgets to clip hard, then they have to give them
windows.

> Closer to home - the same can not be said for Lazarus IDE. There are stacks
> of cases I can show screenshots where text points over groupbox bounds,
> over button bounds etc...  Plus, if I have Lazarus IDE open and change my
> Gnome theme. As soon as I reach the third theme change, the Lazarus IDE
> crashes and closes.
>
> But these are all probably LCL-GTK2 issues as most other GTK2 application
> included with Ubuntu do not show these problem.

I agree.  There are problems with how the lcl handles theme and font
changes, and I'm investigating that.  But even when the lcl can handle
all of these things correctly, we can't stop a stupid developer from
making a button a hard-coded size.

> But we are getting side tracked again. My intention with this message
> thread was simply to notify the LCL developers about the GTK2 design change
> - in case it will affect LCL-GTK2 in some way.

I'm afraid taking cheap shots at gtk isn't going to make you very
popular with these developers, though.

Henry