[Lazarus] GTK2 changed to single-handle-per-form design

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Wed Dec 16 03:41:45 CET 2009

Henry Vermaak wrote:
> 2009/12/15 waldo kitty <wkitty42 at windstream.net>:
>> Henry Vermaak wrote:
>>> Gtk says that if widgets need to have hard clipping, they should
>>> create their own window.  This causes performance issues, though, by
>>> increasing communication with the x server.
>>>
>>> But this is really a non-issue.  I'd argue that clipping is almost
>>> always bad.  What use is something if you can't see it?
>> by the same token, what use is something if you can't read it because some
>> other things have stomped all over each others and piled up in an unreadable
>> mess?
>
> Equally bad, I'd say.  What do you think?  Comes down to the same
> thing, though:  bad design.

well, this also would depend on the method of designing the forms, right?
consider... one creates a form and places buttons here and there... they expect
that these buttons will appear in the same place with the same size regardless
of OS, widgetset and font... many folk and companies spend a huge amount of time
and $$$ on their interfaces and when the underlying code moves things about
"because it can" then a lot of design stuff becomes wasted time and $$$ :?

>>> I've just
>>> gone through most of the ubuntu preferences dialogs and not one of
>>> them clips anything.  What's more is that they react to font sizes,
>>> theme changes and translation correctly.
>> so all the buttons change their sizes when the font is increased or
>> decreased? how about the entire pane they are in? does it also expand and
>> contract based on the font size? ;)
>
> Yes.  What do you expect, to clip the buttons after they've expanded?
> At some stage it will obviously become too large for the window, in
> which case you will have to resize the window or buy a larger monitor.

or adjust the design method and/or underlaying code to compensate... i'm faced
with coding for many who's eyes are not all that great (read as elderly
persons)... it doesn't matter if they have the latest and greatest flatscreen
monitor of 20+ inches diag or not... they still run at 800x600 or such so they
can see the items on the screen without their glasses... now what? :? :rolleyes: