[Lazarus] Build Profiles

Juha Manninen juha.manninen at phnet.fi
Fri Dec 18 18:01:10 CET 2009

On perjantai, 18. joulukuuta 2009 18:23:18 Mattias Gaertner wrote:
> I saw the MaxProfiles=100 constant. ;)
> I didn't dare to ask, but maybe now it is time: Why this limit?

Yes, good question. I copied that part of code from ExtToolDialog. There was a
limit defined as
  MaxExtTools = ecExtToolLast-ecExtToolFirst+1;
The constants are in IDECommands unit and apparently needed for all main menu
actions.
So, I didn't think of it much at that point but just made the code compilable.
There is no actual need for such limit.

> > Ok, I understand the situation now more or less.
> > I keep the configurable TCheckListbox for options in mind.
>
> I don't think that Paul and me are normal users. If we would really
> need it we would have implemented it ourselves.
>
> I really appreciate your effort to make the dialog more comfortable
> and I'm sure many users need profiles. Just keep in mind that the
> majority are pascal programmers - they are spoiled and want it simple.

Right, but the build dialog is a bit intimidating when seen for the first
time. I understand there have been efforts to simplify it.

If the profiles pane is visible all the time, does it bother you "super-
users"? It can be made hidden by choice but then the GUI needs to designed
little differently again.

Juha