[Lazarus] Problem using the SVN program: source files "mutilated"

Martin Friebe lazarus at mfriebe.de
Wed Feb 18 16:58:06 CET 2009

Bart wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm experiencing a problem using SVN.
> When I have written patches for Lazarus, then do an svn update (after
> the patches have been committed), the sourcefiles that I have altered
> are not updated correctly.
>
> For instance. I recently made changes to lcl\include\dbedit.inc
> These changes have been committed.
> Today I did an svn update.
>
> In lcl\include\dbedit.inc SVN has inserted lines like:
>
> <<<<<<<<<<<<<<.mine
> procedure TDBEdit.KeyPress(var Key: char);
>   function CanAcceptKey: boolean;
>

> ================
>
> (^^ this line above is also inserted)
>
> (And yes, this is exactly the procedure I changed)

To make sure I understood correctly:

You write a patch, submit it (mantis or otherwise), some one else is
adding the patch to SVN.
Then you download upgrade you source (containing the patch to the
version of SVN that contains the (same) patch committed by that some one
else?

Then it will depend: If the commit to SVN was 100% identical (probably
including spaces, white char, newline) SVN should recognize this, and
silently merge it.

But, if whoever committed it to SVN did make changes (spaces?) then
merging may fail resulting in the above. Because the code you have
differs from the code in SVN and the SVN software does not know which
version you like to keep.
If you have no other changes in your file, you can simply "revert" it.