[Lazarus] Wiki pages suggestion - feature comparison

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 11:50:32 CET 2009

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 11:57 AM, Florian Klaempfl
<florian at freepascal.org> wrote:
> Gerard N/A schrieb:
>>
>> This is not to start a flame war, but would you care to explain:
>>
>>>  * Lazarus has much better Packages than Delphi's dumb packages.
>>
>> I'd like to port a Delphi app wich uses package based plugins and as
>> far as I know there is no way I can do that with FPC/Lazarus?

Gerard, I still didn't receive your original post, but I'll reply to
what I saw in Florian's quote.

What I meant by "dumb Delphi packages" is as follows.  Lazarus
Packages (*.lpk) are quite different to Delphi's package. I'm not
talking about creating a plugin system or *.dll or *.so files. I'm
talking about how Packages work with the IDE.

In Lazarus, packages are a collection of code you can add as a
requirement to another project. It has it's own settings, paths,
documentation etc...  You setup the packages once and anybody or
project using that package gets all the settings, paths etc.. all
setup for them automatically. The Lazarus IDE does all that for you
In Delphi, you have to go fiddle with the Directory Paths in the IDE's
Environment options. That's not needed with Lazarus.

So as you can see, I'm not talking about a plug-in system at all. I'm
talking about a collection of units called a "lazarus package" and how
the Lazarus IDE manages it for you.

Regards,
  - Graeme -