[Lazarus] speed of SynEdit [Re: Wiki pages suggestion - feature comparison]

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Sun Feb 22 22:09:41 CET 2009

Martin Friebe schrieb:

>> I can not work efficiently with Lazarus, due to two problems with the
>> editor (LazSynEdit): it can become dead slow, needing seconds of
>> computation for a single key stroke, and it doesn't support multiple
>> edit windows. This is why I want to contribute to these issues, starting
>> with a working docking manager for multiple edit and explorer windows.
>>

> Where exactly do you experience those speed issues?

In editing Controls.pp and the related include files.

> If you use GTK1 or 2 you should use a font that is monospaces, and
> exists in this size for bold and italic too. (And you must not use
> ExtraCharSpacing). Otherwise there may be a slow down in painting. Yet
> this can not be compared to other Editors, unless they allow the usage
> of proportional fonts too, and they too force those into a grid.

The effect is not related to any settings, after startup the editor
works fast. It may depend on the number of applied changes or jumps
across files or bookmarks, or on the number of symbols in the units,
i.e. size of the according (history) lists.

> However there is one known problem in SynEdit. The highlighter (turn it
> off, and see if thinks get faster).

Okay. I'll also try to close the fpdoc window, it may be related as well.

> The good part is, it does have potential to be improved.
> Also it should rarely matter. It only happens, if you enter a word that
> opens, or closes a new fold block (like "begin")

The effect is independent of keywords, perhaps it may be related to
identifiers and the popup-hints.

> For me it is not noticeable on 10000 Lines file like SynEdit.pp. I can
> notice it on a 300k Lines file, if I go all to the top, and type begin.
> There is a delay of a bit over a second, if I press the "n". The rest of
> the typing is not slowed down.

The effect is boring, even if I only navigate through the source code
with the cursor keys :-(

DoDi