[Lazarus] speed of SynEdit [Re: Wiki pages suggestion - feature comparison]

Martin Friebe lazarus at mfriebe.de
Mon Feb 23 18:10:33 CET 2009

Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
> Martin Waldenburg schrieb:
>

>>> - Memory management. SynEdit uses a TStrings attempt (IMHO a
>>> gaped-buffer would be more efficient).
>>>
>> that's some kind of an urban legend.
>> But anyway I could cry aloud looking at what mwEdit became.
>> Nobody seems to know anymore how to write efficient code.
>>
>> Martin
>>

> Hi Martin, you're still around? :-)

yea.
> You're right, the LCL became utterly bloated, without a good (discussed
> and documented) concept. But fortunately it doesn't contain assembler
> code :-)
>
> Efficiency is not normally required in a GUI, the current machines have
> enough power for themes, transparent windows, and more. But the
> behaviour of LazSynEdit actually feels a bit like the initial RAD-Studio
> editor, which also tended to slow down, until a freeze.

Check the mem consummation, and swapping (page faults) when it slows.

The think is, even if no memory is needed, if it indeed is fragmented,
then a lot of the allocate mem may be unusable small, and more be
allocated.

This also would mean that data that should be together may be located
across several pages, forcing more swapping.

there are some settings in fpc, top affect the mem mgmt . not sure....

Best Regards
Martin