[Lazarus] Does Lazarus have "sizer" or "layout" objects?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 13:01:04 CET 2009

On 1/10/09, Lord Satan <reimgrab at web.de> wrote:

> Did you ever do a 'more complex' GUI with Qt? I am working with Qt in my job and I would gladly trade Qt's layouts for Lazarus' anchoring and friends?
>  It takes ages to align Qt's layouts and spacers in a way that they work at least a little bit like you wish. The Qt-Designer is more hindering than helping and very often I have more space between my GUI elements than I want to have.
>  Perhaps me and my colleagues are just too stupid to use Qt, but our GUI design is most of the time 'just good enough' and not like we imagined to do it.
>  Sorry for ranting, but I can't let a chance to bash Qt's layouts just pass.

;-)  MiG Layout is simply fantastic. Try the demo on there website and
see for yourself! You only need one layout manager to build any GUI.
They once had a test like that - duplicate any application's GUI using
MiG Layout. There wasn't a single GUI they couldn't reproduce with
little effort.

You can even specify spacing between components in mm, inches, cm,
pixels etc... It's resolution independent and dpi independent. The
other neat  feature is the Debug mode, where it highlights containing
components etc.. to help you design your GUI layout. The layout
interface is relatively simple, so no GUI designer is required - it's
all possible from a few lines of code.

Regards,
  - Graeme -